Opportunities for adult and high school student volunteers
Volunteers play a key role at Los Robles Regional Medical Center by helping us to provide high quality, cost effective healthcare to the community.
We have over 700 volunteers that range from high school and college students, to young adults and senior citizens. Volunteers are matched according to their skills, desires and time schedule. We ask for a minimum commitment of only 4 hours each week for 10 to 12 months, but many volunteers enjoy their work so much, they do more than the minimum.
We have volunteer opportunities throughout the hospital, seven days a week. We need people who can work early mornings, days, and evenings as well.
- Floaters: These volunteers will discharge patients, deliver things to and from the lab, and run all sorts of errands for hospital staff, including doctors and nurses.
- Patient Pals: These volunteers will greet patients and their families, doing all they can to make their hospital stay as pleasant as possible. They go into each hospital room to visit and/or provide items such as lip balm, mirrors, combs, phone chargers, books, reading glasses and more.
- Surgery Desk: These volunteers interact with doctors and surgery patient's families before, during and after the procedure.
- ICU and CCU Waiting Rooms These volunteers assist families waiting for patients that are in serious condition. You may get them coffee, help them find their way around, or just be a good listener and friend. If you are a compassionate person, this is the job for you.
- Emergency Room: These volunteers make beds, deliver food trays, run errands, check on patients, and assist staff with non-medical tasks. If you like action, this is the place for you.
- Pet Therapy: These volunteers bring their specially groomed and trained pets to visit patients. It's been proven that pets improve our lives in many ways, and we believe in offering patients anything that will enhance their stay and encourage wellness.
- Volunteers in Pediatrics (VIP’s): To assist our Pediatric department, some of our younger volunteers interact (play games, help with homework, etc.) with our younger patients to give their parents a break.
- Information Desk: Our volunteers greet patients and their family members and sign them in when they enter the hospital. These volunteers are the first people our visitors see and it means a lot to them when they are greeted by a friendly, smiling face.
- Health Fairs: Volunteers get to attend Hospital sponsored health fairs, where they assist doctors and nurses with different tests offered to the public.
- NODA - No One Dies Alone: Partnering with Hospice of the Conejo our volunteers stay by the bedside of dying patients who are alone.
- East Campus: This is our rehabilitation facility in Westlake Village.
- Thousand Oaks Surgical Hospital: This is our Surgical Facility located in Thousand Oaks on Rolling Oaks Drive.
- Uniteers: These Volunteers work on the Medical Units, hand in hand with our nurses, doctors and patients.
- Gift Shop: These volunteers sell items, and in turn raise money for the local community, as all proceeds go to charity. The Los Robles Hospital Volunteers Inc. is a nonprofit organization, and the gift shop is run solely by volunteers. Through sales in our Gift Shop the volunteers are able to meet the needs of patients and their families, who have no other means of support, by providing some of these wonderful programs:
- Clothing - (including, but not limited to: shirts, pants, shoes and underwear) for patients who meet criteria determined by Case Management. All geared to the seasons.
- Cosmetologist – hair washing for long term patients or patients referred by nursing staff.
- Massage Therapy – for patients that are in our palliative care unit or referred by nursing staff.
For more information, call (805) 370-4685.
If you would like to become a volunteer, please complete the online application below and submit to Amy Commans or the mailing address on the form.
- Adult Volunteer Application (18 years and older)
- Student Volunteer Application (between 16 and 18 years of age)
2019-20 Volunteer Board of Directors
- President Leann Johnson
- First Vice President Stuart Macofsky
- 2nd Vice President Margarita Horwitz
- 3rd Vice President Judy Cannings
- Treasurer Linda Costanzo
- Recording Secretary Deb Hurdle